Certain foods and treats are such a big part of making the holidays feel like the holidays. Christmas is close and sometimes you just want a damn cookie. Or a nice mug o’ hot cocoa. Amirite?! So, since these treats are just a part of our lives (especially at this time of year) you might as well try to make them up with a little more nutritional value and cut out some of that unneeded junk. Because, honestly, you don’t need to include all that crap in order to make your treats taste good. Mind blowing, eh?
Last night was definitely one of those nights I just wanted to embrace the holidays and immerse myself in holiday treats. My husband just got back from a very long time away and a little bit of a celebration was definitely in order. So, I wanted to come up with a “healthier” Snickerdoodle recipe since those are one of the hubs favorite cookies.
We also jazzed them up by making them a s’more cookie sandwich (with homemade marshmallows and chocolate sauce) and paired them with a cup of hot cocoa using a super easy homemade hot cocoa mix. It was dee-lightful. I was also pretty pumped because this cookie recipe turned out wonderfully, and often times my cookies crash and burn. This recipe also uses whole ingredients that pack a little bit of a nutritional punch.
Flaxseeds contain ALA (alpha-linolenic acid) omega-3 fatty acid which are beneficial for hair and skin and they also help reduce gut inflammation which helps with digestion. All those great health benefits inside a great tasting Snickerdoodle. Brilliant.
What you need:
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseeds
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp hot water
- 1 tsp cream of tartar or lemon juice
- 1 tsp cinnamon plus extra 1/2 tbsp for coating
What you do:
- Preheat your over to 350 degrees F
- Cream together the butter and coconut sugar
- Add egg to butter and sugar and mix well.
- In a separate bowl mix together coconut flour, tapioca flour, and ground flaxseeds
- Add salt, cream of tartar and cinnamon to flour mixture and mix
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture and combine until a thick dough forms
- Mix baking soda in the add water and add to the cookie dough, mix
- In a small bowl put in some extra cinnamon
- Roll dough into balls and roll it around it the cinnamon
- Put on a cookie sheet and flatten down
- Bake for 10 minutes
- Cool on wire rack
- Create an awesome Snickerdoodle S’more Sandwich or just enjoy on their own.
Then, I made a super easy chocolate sauce by just melting about 2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan over medium-low heat, adding a teaspoon of maple syrup (or more depending on how sweet you like your chocolate), then mixing in 1 tablespoon of cacao powder. Then just schmear some of the chocolate sauce on the bottom of one cookie, place a piece of marshmallow on the bottom of a second cookie and sandwich them together. Viola! Super delicious.
So, next time you’re craving a holiday treat just whip up a batch of these flaxseed Snickerdoodles. I hope you love ’em!